7/16/09

Burmese Junta Persecutes Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi

When I was a freshman in high school I did a presentation on Myanmar (formerly known as Burma). I focused on the democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and her prosecution by the military dictatorship in Burma. Last year there was a uprising of the Burmese monks and civilans against the corrupt military junt in control of the country. It's a disgrace that a pro-democracy leader such as Suu Kyi has been under house arrest for decades and is being prosecuted for simply allowing an American to visit her house. I believe sometimes military action is necessary, and having a coalition of world forces enter Myanmar and set up a democratic government is in my view a good thing. The population wants it and it is the right thing to do. But right now the the US and Britain are focused on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. These are wars of choice against a population that generally does not want to be occupied by foreign forces.