7/4/07

This Fourth of July 2007 I would like to reflect on what makes America a great country. In this United States, the greatest strength is the people and the opportunities for a good life. I am not happy with a lot about America, but I do have to point out that there is a lot of creativity and beauty in America. There is no shortage of people in America that are motivated and passionate in their life. The best thing about America is that you will always see people striving to do better.

Yet, I have to point out that I am very unhappy with this "War on Terror" and the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. The September 2001 terrorist attacks in New York City were an awful event and I can't see the justification in acts of violence, yet I am proud to see so many people stand up and speak out against that act of terror and violence. Yet I can't help feel that people should speak out against acts of violence everywhere it occurs. In this campaign to defeat terror, countless innocent civilians have been killed in the Middle East. I feel it makes no sense. This link illustrates the unequal weight some people give to human life.
http://www.prosebeforehos.com/government_employee/06/22/civilian-death-statistics-in-iraq-afghanistan-compared/

The daily reporting of the Iraq War is not truthful. One excellent piece of evidence is the way many military attacks can be assumed to be against "Al-qaida." However, as this link reveals many times the Al-qaida victims are actually innocent civilians.
http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2007/06/30/war_reporting/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment